Monday, April 5, 2010

Day One!!

Well, today I am happy to report that we ate 3 servings of vegetables...and we liked it!! The applesauce muffins were a big hit. I made them last night and of coarse I made them mini muffins because mini is more fun. This morning all the kids just gobbled them up. I added orange juice and bananas and called it breakfast. One serving of carrots down.
Dinner was a bit more tricky. We had meatball soup, which I must say was delicious!! I really must recommend it. All of my kids scarfed it down and Andrew (who is my notoriously picky eater) said, "Mom, I like this soup. Finally you got one that doesn't have any yucky stuff (veggies) in it!!" I just smiled and graciously accepted the compliment. What he doesn't know....
Anyway, a few comments about the soup. The instructions say that prep time is 20 minutes. I found that to be a gross understatement. I think the next time I make it I will try to have the meatballs already cooked and in the freezer. It was labor intensive to boil the noodles, soften the onions, puree the tomatoes, and prep the meatballs at the same time. Just add a few needy children into the mix and I was about ready to toss dinner out the window. But I am glad I persevered. The recipe calls for carrot puree but I accidentally added yams (hey, they are both orange and I was preoccupied with the kids). It all worked out ok. In fact I think I liked it better. The yams thickened the soup and made it more like a chili consistency. Oh, and I also used ground beef and beef stock instead of ground turkey and chicken stock. The meatballs were supposed to be added to the soup cooked upon simmering. Well, they did not keep their shape, but that was ok. It kind of was just a hearty meaty pizza-y yummy soup. I give it an 8. It would have had a 10, but that prep work docs it 2 points. Oh, by the way, the meatballs had sweet potato in them.
Tomorrow's menu:
Breakfast: French Toast (pumpkin)
Dinner: Italian Meatloaf (carrot), mashed potatoes (cauliflower)
Dessert: Frozen yogurt pops (berries)

Thanks for reading and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Now you are really sounding like Julia Child! It's just plain realistic when things don't go perfectly as planned. It's about improvising! :)

    I think this is a really fun adventure!

    I have a recipe that simmers turkey meatballs in a broth and the meatballs stay together just fine. Maybe it's just the different consistency of the turkey?

    Keep us updated! :)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete